Today we were lucky and had a late start, so we were able to sleep in. Going into our game against Belgium, we had three objectives that we wanted to work on and improve. We accomplished one objective, but the others were hindered by the plethora of stoppages. We were happy to successfully kill two penalties without getting scored on.
Belgium had some beautiful drives and swims across the pool, but we defeated Belgium with a score of eight to zero.
For those of you who missed the game, here is a run down of the goals and penalties:
- 1st goal -- Elsa scored after a drive up the end wall by Katrina. Katrina, after making a monster effort, passed the puck to a wide-open Elsa.
- 2nd goal -- Although the refs were not sure who scored it, Cheryl scored our second goal. Despite there being a crowd of bodies in the corner of the goal, she was able to slam the puck in the trough.
- 3rd goal -- Our third goal was a team effort. We are not sure who scored it!
- 4th goal -- After a nice swim across the pool by Katrina, we were near our offensive corner and we had tons of support. Katrina was able to make a drive to the goal and pass the puck to Bryna. Bryna ran the puck straight to the goal.
- 5th goal -- We went a little off of our game plan but managed to keep the puck in the middle of the pool. Belgium's defense became scattered, and Kim was able to drive the puck into an open goal.
- Right after the 5th goal, Kim received a one-minute penalty. After a strong push by Belgium, we were able to put it into the corner and keep it there until Kim's penalty ended.
- 6th goal -- When Kim was back in the water, she was able to drive it up the side wall. She scored a few plays later.
- 7th goal -- Our 7th goal was scored by Cheryl, who once again scored while in the midst of a scrum of bodies.
- With just three minutes left remaining in the game, Kim was kicked out again for gloving.
- 8th goal -- With Kim still in the penalty box, we managed to drive the puck nearly the entire length of the pool. Elsa sprinted from the side wall and passed the puck to Katrina. Katrina drove the puck into the trough.
Final score was eight to zero, but Belgium played well. Despite the high number of stoppages, we had a good game.
We play two games tomorrow! Our first game is #94 against France at 8:28 am EST. Our second game is #111 against Germany at 3:40 pm. We'll be black for both games.
You can find the live streams here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnOBvfJcIdm9QeKn7zdECNA
Enjoy some pictures from our game against New Zealand and our visit to the falls: